Project promoter: Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant
Project title: Safety Enhancement of Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant Radioactive Waste management
Project code: LT05-2-EM-TF-001
Project eligible expenditure: EUR 3 501 094,00 (EUR 2 975 930,00 grant from the Norwegian Financial Mechanism and EUR 525 164,00 budget co-financing)
Project signature date: 8 October 2020
Project implementation period: 15 June 2020 - 15 April 2024
The project will provide an exceptional opportunity to work together to improve expertise in nuclear decommissioning and competencies to reduce risk of negative impact on people and the environment and gain, together with VATESI and the DSA, the best world practices in a safe and efficient decommissioning. The network and skills acquired will be used in the activities of the project promoter and partners.
The objective of the project is to improve management, control and prevention of negative impact of radioactive materials stored at Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant (INPP) on the environment and the population. This project will contribute to the safe management of radioactive waste.
Specifically, the project will allow Lithuania to start the initial stages of a Deep Geological project, which is necessary for the long-term storage of radioactive waste and required safety assessments for storage of industrial waste from INPP and assessments for a third waste stream - bituminised waste.
The project will also conduct training and capacity building exercises, including experience sharing between Lithuania and Norway through the partnership with the Norwegian Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority (DSA) and State Nuclear Power Safety Inspectorate (VATESI).
The project includes:
- Social and economic evaluation and criteria for selection of potential region for Deep Geological Repository.
- Geophysical (seismic) survey programme.
- Geophysical (seismic) investigations.
- Site descriptive model for deep borehole.
- Development of concept for spent nuclear fuel (SNF) and radioactive waste (RW) final disposal in clay.
- Establishment of conditional radiological clearance levels for industrial waste storage site.
- Review and evaluation of bituminized waste storage facility transformation into a repository concept and safety analysis report review.
- Final review report on bituminized waste storage facility transformation into a repository site
- Training of professional employees.
- Technical meetings for professional employees.