2203 project. Dismantling of A1 unit equipment
General information about the project
The implementation of the project started in May 2013. By the order of the General Director, a project manager was appointed and a project management team was formed, which employs specialists from various INPP services and divisions.
In 2019 completed:
- Preparation and approval of the project description at INPP;
- Preparation and approval of the technical solution with the VATESI (hereinafter SNPSI) supervision department;
- Preparation and approval of action plans at INPP: preparation of project 2203 licensing documents, preparation of technological project, execution of engineering research, preparation of environmental impact assessment report, technological preparation of decommissioning waste primary treatment bar organization.
- Preparation of documents for all 27 zones;
- Test decontamination of equipment samples in various ways and preparation of a report of test results;
- Engineering research of equipment internal cavities decontamination technology;
- Preparation of descriptions of preparatory works;
- Development of collective and individual dose assessment procedures;
- Preparation and coordination of the environmental impact assessment report with the institutions of the Republic of Lithuania, presentation, obtaining the permission of the Ministry of Environmental Protection for the implementation of the planned economic activity;
- Preparation of the technological project for the organization of the waste primary treatment bar (WPTB) and its coordination with SNPSI, obtaining a permit for the organization of WPTB (SNPSI agreed to supplement the license validity conditions for the organization of WPTB after payment);
- Preparation of the technological design of the fuel reloading machine (submitted for approval to SNPSI);
- Preparation and coordination of simple repairs of the construction project (submitted for approval to Visaginas City Municipality);
- Development of technical solutions for the organization of radiological measurements and packaging bar for relatively uncontaminated waste (RUW), radiological measurements and packaging bar for very low level waste and temporary waste storage bar;
- Preparation and coordination of the technological project and the Safety Analysis Report (submitted to SNPSI for approval);
- Preparation and approval of the project description (Phase 2) at INPP, coordination with SNPSI.
The preparation of project 2203 documentation and execution of works uses the practical experience of INPP personnel gained during the implementation of previous INPP equipment dismantling and decontamination projects, experience of other NPPs with similar activities, as well as recommendations of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
According to the INPP decommissioning Megaproject schedule, the completion of the project documentation and the receipt of the permit of the regulatory authorities of the Republic of Lithuania to carry out the dismantling and decontamination of INPP Unit A1 equipment is planned for spring 2020. Equipment dismantling and primary dismantling waste treatment works are planned to be completed in 2027.
Based on the design solutions of technological projects, the INPP Design and Construction Division of construction projects prepares design documentation, according to which the INPP personnel (Dismantling Division) dismantles the isolated equipment.
In 2019, the preparation of project documentation for the entire project preparatory works was actually completed and the preparation of documentation for individual zones is underway. Due to the large amount of work, the preparation of project documentation will continue until the end of the project implementation.
Preparatory work started on September 1, 2016. Preparatory work consists of:
- Installation of a primary waste treatment bar;
- Installation of a relatively uncontaminated waste radiological measurements and packaging bar;
- Installation of Class A waste radiological measurements and packaging waste bar;
- Installation of a class A waste buffer storage.
Dismantling of equipment and structures is being carried out in order to free up space for purchased equipment for dismantling works, transportation schemes are being prepared and infrastructure is being prepared. As of January 2019, 421 tons of equipment were dismantled.
A total of 514 t of equipment was dismantled under the 2203 project, and pre-treatment was 196 t.
According to the INPP decommissioning Megaproject schedule, the implementation of the second stage project is planned to start in 2027, to be completed in 2034.